Skip to main content

The Old Book Project

Actual publication date: 02/06/2016 


I walk into the Utah University Art Department. We are doing a program called Addicts to Artists, where they encourage recovering addicts to partake in art in order to help them find an identity in recovery from drugs and alcohol. I had never heard of Book Art but I am so glad I found out about it. I thought at first it is blasphemy to draw in books! But I see it as taking art and making it into a different kind of art. 

Curious Yellow

This is an example of how to use book art. You can paint, draw, use marker, and just make your own design inside an old book. 


During my time in Chicago, I very much enjoyed doing book art. I am not the best artist in the world but just coming up with something unique is always the best. I really enjoyed using a book as an artistic creation.


                                         


                   

     Cry Me a Poem


    Here is an example of a way you can make a poem by just circling some words and crafting the words into your own. I love the idea of taking some else's words and making them your own. 

                                                    



You can either make poems, draw, make a story, or paint. It is a great use of an old decaying book. I love old books and love even more making them into a continuous piece of art. You've probably already heard of it but if you haven't it's a great project for your students, art patients, etc.


Grab an old book that doesn't mean anything to you and start creating. You never know what words you'll find in yourself. 

Here's a link of some great book artwork that hopefully will inspire you: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/217087644515530355/


It's easy and fun to do just grab a sharpie and make yourself a piece of art with a piece of art!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s

Never give up, never surrender!