Skip to main content

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

  

How I Got Here

A Journey to the Grad Stage


May be an image of 1 person, standing and indoor


Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art


I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay. 

 

Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more people came more drama and with my personality disorder it caused high amounts of interpersonal stress. I usually went home and isolated or avoided people in general. I stayed a couple semesters doing well in my music classes and poorly in all my other main courses and eventually the stress got too much, and my depression came back ten fold and I returned the hospital. 

 

I spent years going in and out of hospitals, treatment centers, and sober livings. Trying to gain skills to lead a normal life again. I even moved around a lot for treatment going to California, Utah, Chicago, and Colorado. Then after Colorado I came home and after a year or more of outpatient treatment, I returned to Laramie County Community College. I was very nervous knowing how much drama there was the last time I was there, but something seemed to change. Staff reached out to help me with my learning disability, the whole program at LCCC seemed different, and it seemed like it was taking a good turn. 

 

I was so excited to go back to school I joined a club called International Ambassadors Club which is a study abroad group. I was the president of community services and did a lot of fun activities. In Spring 2020 we planned to go to Peru and the rest you can figure out. I was disappointed to say the least, but I just kept moving on. 

 

Fall 2021 came and I found out I had only one year left. “I thought I was going to be here forever” I told my advisor. I was almost there. In Spring 2022 I applied for University of Wyoming, and I got in! I was so beyond ecstatic. Then life took a turn, and I had a DVT and pulmonary embolism. I had many clots in my lungs and stayed at the hospital a few days to recover. “Am I going to graduate?” “Will I survive this?” I cried out but again I didn’t let it stop me and I continued my homework and kept going. 

 

Then it finally came. Spring 2022 Commencement. I graduated! I even got to graduate with the exact people I wanted to. I loved seeing my fellow classmates wearing their cap and gown and was so excited to walk down that stage with them. Now I am off to University of Wyoming. LCCC has been a rocky ride and I know nothing is perfect, but I am excited to see what adventures Laramie brings me. 

 

Anything is possible when you have the determination to overcome hardships and focus on success. Off to UW where I will be studying English Literature and Digital Media! Can’t wait to wear my brown and gold. 

 

Thank you so much and congrats class of 2022!


Legally Blonde We Did It GIF - Legally Blonde We Did It Graduation -  Discover & Share GIFs

 

Annie


 

Special Thanks to:

Michael Shay

Chris Shay 

Leif Swanson 

Daniel Maw

Jesse Seiden 

Ian Caldon 

Adrianna true

Heather Morrow

Wendy Soto 

Joe Schaffer 




May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors


May be an image of 5 people and indoor





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing, Maria. A screenplay by Annie Shay and Original Story "Off the Grid" By Michael Shay

  Sing, Maria Wrights of Wyoming PLAYWRIGHT: ANNIE SHAY ORIGINAL STORY “Off the Grid” BY MICHAEL SHAY   ACT ONE SCENE 1 (Talking at breakfast) The stage is dark, a spotlight appears shining onto a girl in her pjs. A voice calls from the stands. Narration: Sing, Maria sing. Maria looks around. Maria: Who is there? God: It is I, GOD. Maria: You’re not real and this is just a dream. God: Sing, Maria, sing. Maria: Alright already, but you’re not real. God: I am what I am. Maria: What am I, Moses? God: Faith Maria, Faith.    Maria: okay I get it. Now let me sleep ! Fade into kitchen. Maria is dressed she is sitting at the table eating. Her father is working on the sink in the kitchen. Maria: (eating breakfast) I think I am going to join choir.   Dad: Choir? I have never heard you talk about this before. God damn it! (he says after he bangs his head as he comes out from under the sink) Maria: Yeah, I think it will be fun, you know?   Dad (rubbing

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s