Skip to main content

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison.

Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in Annandale-on-Hudson, New YorkI have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our society education is for only the rich and wealthy and to put it lightly is made more readily available to white people.

I, like many others did not give much thought to educating criminals but I have always valued education. I am a white middle class American and I luckily have access to a 2 year and 4-year college at my fingertips. It never crossed my mind that maybe this does not always come easy for people in low income families. For people raised in low income housing, education can be socially and economically impossible to go through with. With peers and gang member constantly giving easy options to make money for families with no income and with poor families not having enough money to even provide for children going through high school. Most of the people in prison have no G.E.D. or have a low level of literary competency.

It begs the question:

Should we be providing free education or any kind of education to those in Prison?

This is a hard topic considering that education is not free to most citizens of the united states but also most citizens can afford to go to college or have opportunity for scholarships and funding their education. Why isn’t school free to those who need it? Is education something you can pay for? I do not think so. In most countries the approach to education is either to suppress it or to use it to empower and educate its citizens. If we are only providing education to those who can afford it then why are we surprised that people turn to crime to make money for their families? If you only give jobs to white people than why are you surprised that no African American citizens are working or going to school?

No matter what your side is on this topic the facts are: If you educate inmates, they will not return to prison systems and have a means of providing for their families and themselves. Regardless of the morals of whether we should be doing it is irrelevant. If we want to have better citizens than we must make better citizens. Standing idly by and only providing higher education and better jobs to richer citizens is never going to end in your favor.

I watch this show and I see not only an intellectual change but also a physical, moral, and behavioral change in these inmates. If we can take each person and get them the education or the help, they need regardless of their income we will make better citizens in the end. More than 45 percent of inmates re-offend and are back in jail in the next year, with programs that provide liberal arts education only 4 percent of prisoners re-offend.  Nelson Mandela once said, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” If we stop putting guns in the hands of criminals and start putting books there instead who knows what kind of society, we could have.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

Never give up, never surrender!