Skip to main content

The Arts in Wyoming: My personal experience.


The Arts in Wyoming: My personal experience as a local artist.

Art Print by Adam Jones 

    When people think of Wyoming, they think of a farm with cowboys in their boots, getting dirty and lifting hay, but there is another side to our state another side that gets just as dirty but instead of the dirt it's paint, sweat, and hard work put into a local project. In our great state, we promote the arts and performances around the area. Each state has its own form of art. Colorado has its own bands and its own names. Here in Wyoming, we have a small community of artists and performers that all contribute to this wonderful state we call home. 

What makes Wyoming so different?

    In Wyoming, everyone is a neighbor and that is the same with arts. When there is one band, there are all bands. We connect well and try to collaborate as much as we can as a community. Today I want to talk about some resources and my personal experience with them. If you are new to Wyoming and looking to start your art career, here are a few resources to get you started.

Wyoming Arts Council

    Wyoming Arts Council was founded in 1967 During the Term of Governor Stanley Hathaway. The Wyoming Arts Council provides funding, marketing, and events for local artists of any kind. All you must do is connect and apply for their services so you can get started showing off your arts in Wyoming.

    I have a personal connection with the Wyoming Arts Council. My father is currently retired from Wyoming Arts Council after working at the facility for 20 years. I have fond memories of growing in the building across from the capitol, writing and drawing in my dad's office when he started in 1993. I remember drawing, writing, and dancing in the building. My scribbles, writings, and drawing sprawled out across the floor as I start my project, I can say not much has changed. Growing up around the arts has made me love every aspect including most visual and performing types of arts. 

    Growing up in the Wyoming Arts always made me the artist I am today. My dad brought me to art exhibits and encouraged me to write stories. He always inspired me to go above and beyond in my creativity. I encourage families to let their children flourish in their creativity and when they get older Wyoming Arts Council will be there to fund and promote what they love to do.

    Wyoming Arts Council is located in the Wyoming Natural History Museum on the 2nd floor. I would highly recommend talking to them if you are pursuing any kind of art project or business. 

https://wyoarts.state.wy.us/programs/wac-programs/

https://wyoarts.state.wy.us/about/what-we-do/

University of Wyoming: Vertical Dancing Degree

        Vadauwoo has always been awfully close to home literally and figuratively. I see it every time I make that trip on I-80 from Cheyenne to Laramie. It is a great place to hike, camp, rock climb, and dance? University of Wyoming in Laramie offers a vertical dance degree which was started in 1995 with the performance A Midsummers Night Dream while trying to figure out how to make the cast fly when playing the fairies. Luckily for them and us, this sparked a new program at UW Dance Department which continues to this day. 

    There is a Vertical Dance one and two provided at the university. You learn things such as rigging, safety, and the different forms of vertical dance. The performances are provided indoors and outdoors through UW. Vedauwoo is a popular spot for the vertical dancers. Performing there several times a year.

     I am so glad Wyoming offers a program that is unique to its setting and art style. I personally have watched the group perform in Vadauwoo and at the Asher downtown on the side of a building. Watching local dancers expressing themselves through the architecture of Wyoming is very gratifying. I hope this can help you learn more about what Wyoming has to offer in terms of dance. Casper College also has a dance program as well as Ballet Wyoming. Wyoming's dance department is a beautiful place that you only find once in a lifetime. 

http://www.uwyo.edu/thd/degree-programs/dance-vertical-dance.html

https://www.balletwyoming.com/

 

 True Troupe in Cheyenne Wyoming

 Eli Burgess and Brad Goodman

    True Troupe (started by Adrianna True) and the True family here in Wyoming, is a theater group with a mix of Wyomingites and people all over. It started in Wyoming and is gradually blossoming into a great Theater Troupe. True Troupe is a Theater Group that offers opportunities for performing and visual artists to get involved in Theater.

    When people come to Wyoming, they have a plethora of talents that need to be stretched in our state. Having options like this where the community can come together and make something for out of towners and locals is quite astounding.

    The True Troupe has auditions every two weeks to every month. A current event that is coming up is Wrights of Wyoming which is a performance put on by the Troupe showcasing the scriptwriters in Wyoming. I happen to be one of the scriptwriters and a consistent participant with the True Troupe. It is an accepting place where all types of artists can get together and make something beautiful and diverse.

https://truetroupe.com/ 

Wrights of Wyoming is still accepting submissions until July 4th, 2020. 

        There are plenty of activities to do in Wyoming. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Whether you are an actor, musician, painter, etc. you can find your home in Wyoming. If you are new to Wyoming please feel free to showcase your art to our community, we highly appreciate new artists and want everyone to feel like our creative neighbor when you are here. 

Article By Annie Shay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s

Never give up, never surrender!