Skip to main content

Covid-19 effects on Recover Wyoming



Covid-19 and Recovery by Annie Shay

With the Corona Virus relapses are at an all-time high, People are turning back to drinking and drugs in hopes of dulling the pain from social distancing. For recovering addicts, the one strong component is socialization. It is essential that addicts be around their community in order to stay sober and continue to do well.  

 You look online and see others drinking alcohol for YouTube views, and even your aunt is drinking a bottle of wine while speaking over Skype. It can be hard to stay sober even if you are social distancing because you have no one to hold you accountable. It is difficult seeing others drink, even though we are quarantined we feel the pain of missing out. Bars have closed but liquor stores are still open, and we need to be careful where we put our time and money. It is so important to stay connected so you can prevent relapse.

 But do not fret there are resources out there in the Wyoming Community and beyond. Online N.A. meetings over zoom are making it easier to go online and talk with fellow people in recovery. Every day at Noon is a meeting on mountain standard time. As much as we would like to talk face to face being online in recovery is bearable. It is nice not to feel so alone in a moment in time where you must be alone, it is totally normal but what you do with your time and your recovery matters.

 How does Covid-19 effect addicts in Wyoming?

Recover Wyoming. which is a resource for addicts located in Cheyenne, has been a huge support for people battling addiction especially showing support with social distancing. They say they are an “all-inclusive meeting place" meaning it is not specifically for 12 steps or any kind of treatment focus. It is an open place for people to come if they want to get sober and live a life in recovery from mental health issues or addiction. You can stop by anytime for a meeting, to read, or to volunteer at their building in order to stay sober.

 The building is now closed to the public but is now doing recovery online which includes meetings every Wednesday at 7pm on their website. And one on one conversations over the phone for those currently struggling. “The impact the coronavirus has had on our business is we can no longer have volunteers at their facility or help people in person because of social distancing and for others protection.” Says Laura Griffith the Director of Recover Wyoming. People who do not have a home or access to a computer are finding it hard to stay in recovery. Most of them or going to the Comea Shelter or trying to find in-person meetings. “It is difficult when you have a facility that is a safe haven for addicts, and you cannot meet face to face that is so important for your recovery.” Says Laura Griffith. “One thing I want people to know is to go online, there are so many resources online that can help you” 

 Hopefully, we can start opening our doors and letting those in who need shelter. I know it is difficult for all of us but if we stay strong and do what we can to better our lives we can eventually come back to our day to day lives and be better people for our community. Recovery is possible even in hard times. 


For more resources and for the ones mentioned please visit:

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s

Never give up, never surrender!