Skip to main content

Sing, Maria. A screenplay by Annie Shay and Original Story "Off the Grid" By Michael Shay

 


Sing, Maria

Wrights of Wyoming

PLAYWRIGHT: ANNIE SHAY

ORIGINAL STORY “Off the Grid” BY MICHAEL SHAY

 

ACT ONE SCENE 1 (Talking at breakfast)

The stage is dark, a spotlight appears shining onto a girl in her pjs.

A voice calls from the stands.

Narration: Sing, Maria sing.

Maria looks around.

Maria: Who is there?

God: It is I, GOD.

Maria: You’re not real and this is just a dream.

God: Sing, Maria, sing.

Maria: Alright already, but you’re not real.

God: I am what I am.

Maria: What am I, Moses?

God: Faith Maria, Faith.  

Maria: okay I get it. Now let me sleep!

Fade into kitchen. Maria is dressed she is sitting at the table eating. Her father is working on the sink in the kitchen.

Maria: (eating breakfast) I think I am going to join choir. 

Dad: Choir? I have never heard you talk about this before. God damn it! (he says after he bangs his head as he comes out from under the sink)

Maria: Yeah, I think it will be fun, you know? 

Dad (rubbing his head): Well, why choir all of a sudden?

Maria: Well (thinking) I have a friend who’s in there and I want to check it out.

Dad: (goes back under sink) I think it’s too late to join choir. It doesn’t cost anything, does it?

Maria: No dad, and I just really have to join. I really do.

Dad: Well honey I agree with whatever you decide. Now hurry we can talk about it when you get home. You need to catch the bus. Dagnabbit!

Maria grabs her backpack and runs out.

Maria: Bye Dad!

She runs out the door.

Dad: Bye Pumpkin!

He keeps working on the sink as Maria exits stage.

ACT ONE SCENE TWO (talking in hallway)

Maria arrives at school and is speaking with a friend by the lockers in the hallway.

Maria: I mean it Sarah, my dream really was different!

Sarah: (laughs) You always have weird dreams. Dude it is fine. You need to stop doing drugs before bed. (she says jokingly)

Maria: Come on. This is serious!

Sarah: Okay, calm down crazy. What was the dream about?

Maria: Well, I was lying there, and I felt a strong presence like an angel, and it kept saying. “Sing Maria, sing” I think I’m meant to be a singer. I have to get into choir.

Sarah: Well good luck getting in we’re a month into the semester. Why don’t you just focus on the science fair? You always do a good job with that. What strange things are you doing this year?

Maria: Well I am going to do an exhibit on the DNA of trees and how it affects the procreation of frogs, but I already have that done.

Sarah: God, you’re so weird. 

Maria: Hey, I’m not that weird.

Sarah: You’re listening to a voice telling you that you have to sing.

Maria: I have to listen to it! I have to get into choir!

Sarah: Well, try to talk to Mrs. Simpson. I think choir is over next period. I don’t know if she’ll let you join this late. 

Maria: I’ve got to try.

Lights fade.

ACT TWO SCENE 1 (Asking to join choir)

Fade into door of choir room.

Now Marie is waiting impatiently outside of the choir room. Kids shuffle out. The teacher walks by and Maria stops her.

Marie: Hi. Mrs. Simpson?

Mrs. Simpson: (distracted) yes what is it. I don’t have a lot of time.

Marie: Well, my name is Maria and I need to join the choir.

Mrs. Simpson: Registration is in three months if you can wait till then.

Maria: Three months? I can’t wait that long. I have to get in now!

Miss Simpson is putting music away and walking around.

Mrs. Simpson: Why are you in such a hurry to sing?

Maria: Well…um...I guess it’s my dream!

Mrs. Simpson: How do I know you can even sing?

Maria You can test me. I know all the notes. I’ve memorized everything. I memorized the whole score of Annie.

Mrs. Simpson: There is more to it than notes, you know. (She crosses her arms.) You have to be able to translate those notes into song.

Maria: I can do that, I swear. Just give me a chance.

The bell rings.

Mrs. Simpson: All right. Come by tomorrow to fifth period with a note from the principal and be prepared to sing a solo. Is that a good time?

Maria: Well, fifth period is science and we are getting ready for the science fair but I’m all caught up!

Miss Simpson: All right, if you have time come and try the class out if you really think you want to sing.  

Maria: I do really want to sing. Thank you so much I’ll see you tomorrow!

Maria rushes away.

Miss. Simpson: (to herself) Strange kid.

Fade out

Spotlight appears on Maria in her school uniform.

God: Sing, Maria, Sing.

Maria; You again? Jeez can’t anyone take a nap in class?

God: Sing, Maria, Sing.

Maria: I am, I am going to choir if you would just leave me alone.

God: Faith, Maria, Faith.

Maria: All right already! I’m going tomorrow. 

ACT TWO SCENE ONE: CHOIR ROOM

Fade in

Maria walks into choir room very skittish and shy. She looks out of place.

Mrs. Simpson: Good to see you today, Maria! Everyone, this is Maria she will joining our class a little late. Now Maria dear, take a seat and we will get started.

Everyone sits down. Maria takes a seat and a girl comes over to her.

Tayla: You’re in my spot.

Maria: This is your spot? Can’t you find another one?

Tayla: No, you’re in my spot. Now move!

Maria moves and Tayla sits down by her friends giggling and whispering to each other.

Mrs. Simpson: Today we will be doing solo auditions. And who better to start us off but our eager student, Maria.

Tayla: Mrs. Simpson. (she raises her hand) I don’t think Maria should be able to audition. I mean she should have joined weeks ago when she had a chance. She shouldn’t be able to audition. She doesn’t even know the music.

Mrs. Simpson: Everyone gets a chance to audition, Tayla. Maria has made it very clear that she wants to do this so let’s all give her a hand and watch her sing.

Tayla, huffing, crosses her arms and leans back in her seat.

Maria: You mean right now, in front of the whole class?

Mrs. Simpson: Yes dear, come down here and we will see what all your ambition for singing is about.

Maria goes to the front of the class, twisting her hands and looking nervous.

She stands by the teacher and the piano.

Maria: What do I sing?

Mrs. Simpson: Anything you want dear. You did say you memorized a bunch of music. Let’s hear it!

Maria clears her throat she starts singing “Tomorrow” from the play Annie, but her voice isn’t very good. Every other word she makes a strange squeaky sound and the whole class laughs at her.

Maria clearly is not a good singer and is singing in a flat type of tone, while hiccupping and squeaking every other line.

Mrs. Simpson: Okay Maria, that was good start. Let’s talk after class.

Maria runs to her seat but is stopped by Tayla.

Tayla: Wow, good job singing, mouse (her and her friends laugh)

Embarrassed, Maria grabs her backpack and runs out of the room.

Fade out

Spotlight on Maria. She is in her PJs starring up towards the light.

God: Sing, Maria, Sing.

Maria: I can’t sing, and I am not listening to you any more. I am so embarrassed.

God: Sing, Maria, Sing. BELIEVE! Faith, Maria, faith.

Maria: (angrily) I’m done with you! WHY DON’T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?!

ACT TWO: SCENE 2 Getting reassurance from her family

It is morning. Maria is back in the kitchen crying in her father’s arms. She has spoken to him about the choir incident.

Maria: I cannot believe I did that. I’m so embarrassed, Dad! I am never going back!

Dad: It’s okay sweety, you gave it a try and it didn’t work out.

Maria: But I have to do it, papa! I have to keep going, I have to sing!

Dad: (Holds her tighter shushing her sweetly) Are you sure you want to sing? You’re such a good student, especially in science. The other day you were so excited about your science fair project and your frog and tree thing.

Maria: But I need to I have to learn to sing.

Dad: Why don’t you just focus on your science classes, kiddo? You are doing well in those right?

Maria: But singing is just something I have to do. You wouldn’t understand.

Dad: Okay I can see you’re committed (pause). How about we bring in your brother he knows a little about music and a lot about math maybe he can help you understand music through math. I’m not much help I can’t hold a note to save my life!

Maria: That’s not a bad idea, I understand math just fine.

Mark comes in for some milk

Dad: Speak of the devil! Mark! When you’re not busy raiding the fridge can you please teach your sister about music?

Mark: Sure, anything for the little scamp (he rubs her head). I never thought you were interested in music Maria, what happened? Is there some boy you like in the choir?

Maria: No! I can’t really explain it. Will you just help me? (she says impatiently)

Mark: Okay hold on there. If you are that eager to learn music, I can help you out. Think of it this way.

He sits at the table.

Mark: In math there is always a problem to figure out, right?

Maria: Same with science.

Mark: Yes, but in math the answer to the equation is numbers and variables and the answer to music notes is….

Maria: Melody or sound?

Mark: Right again! You just have to learn to think of it logically.  Pretend you are doing an experiment in your AP Biology class. You practice everything, find out the formula and perform what you’ve learned. It is pretty much the same. (he says, cocky)

Maria: The only difference is I can do the equation, but I can’t solve the problem.

Mark: It takes practice. You cannot do advanced calculus without learning multiplication and division first. It takes time.

Maria: Well I don’t have time! I want to do it now!

Mark: Whoa there, little sis, I think you’ll just have to be patient. What about voice lessons?

Maria: That wouldn’t be so bad.

Mark: Do they have them in school?

Maria: No, all the classes are filled.

Dad: How about at my church. Ms. Sandoval still teaches there, and she is better than anyone I know. She could definitely teach you how to sing.

Mark: Yeah, I’m helping her with her car tomorrow. I can bring you by. 

Maria: (excited) Can we call her now?

Dad: Hold on Kiddo we will call her in the morning and let her know you are coming. Now go get some rest and we can start tomorrow.

She says goodnight and goes upstairs.

God: Sing, Maria. Sing.

Maria: I get it now. It’s like an equation. I just have to figure out the notes and everything will be fine!

God: Sing, Maria, sing.

Maria: I figured out your riddle. Shouldn’t you be gone by now?

God: Faith, Maria, faith.

ACT THREE: SCENE ONE (what god really wants)

Cut to Maria singing in voice lessons with her teacher.

Ms.. Sandoval: Well, Maria you have come a long way these past six weeks.

Maria: Thank you, Miss Sandoval.

Ms. Sandoval: You’ve got all the notes down and the rhythm perfectly. Every note hits precisely but… (lowers her head in disappointment)

Maria: But I still can’t sing. (Maria looks disappointed)

Ms. Sandoval: Well, love, it takes time.

Maria: But I want to learn now! I can always learn how to sing. They do it all the time on YouTube.

Ms. Sandoval: You always could but are you passionate about music does it make not just your mind sing but your heart as well?

Maria: Well I think so. (she says, uncertain)

 Ms. Sandoval: Tell me what drew you to singing in the first place? Does music speak to you?

Maria: I guess you could say (thinking) it’s kind of a calling.

Mr. Sandoval: (looks surprised) Maria, when I hear someone has a calling for music, I do not take it lightly. Music is my calling and it is particularly important to me.

Maria: How did you know?

Ms. Sandoval: At an early age, my heart felt full when I heard music. When I started to sing in church, I was so happy. I thought I might ascend right out of church and into heaven, just like an angel.

Maria: Wow!

Ms. Sandoval: Wow is right. I sang right through high school in Casper and received a music scholarship to University of Wyoming. Nobody in my family had ever gone to college, let alone received money for doing so. My father was a janitor for Casper Public Schools and my Mom worked when needed at her father’s little Mexican restaurant. But she was always busy raising the six of us. I was the oldest, so I had a lot of responsibility. But my parents made sure I had time for my music.

(pause)

I dropped out of college in my junior year. I was pregnant, got married. An old story, I guess. Tim’s oldest brother was born later that year. My new husband – now my ex-husband – kept going to school. He said that at least one of us needed a diploma to get a decent job. That’s the way he was – full of putdowns. Before I knew it, we had three boys and he got a teaching job in Cheyenne and a year after we got here, he bailed out. He’s an Anglo, and I don’t think he really liked being seen with his short, dark Mexican wife – me. (she shakes her head.) That whole time, I did not sing a note in public. I sang around the house, but never when he was around because he would make fun of me.

Maria: That must have been hard.

Ms. Sandoval: (pats Maria’s head) You have a real sensitive streak, Maria. Now, since I told you all this, you have to tell me: what makes your heart want to float up to heaven?

Maria: Will you ever get married again?

Ms. Sandoval: You’re changing the subject, mi hija. But no, I never want to be in that situation again. I sing, and occasionally go out on dates with men who treat me with respect – or else. I have more freedom now that my two oldest are in college and Tim spends all his time working on engines with your brother.

Maria: I want to sing, I guess.

Ms. Sandoval: Have you heard the saying “God works in mysterious ways”?

Maria: No.

Ms. Sandoval: You can guess, though.

Maria: Well, probably that there is a lot of mystery in God, what he says and does.

Ms. Sandoval: That’s it exactly. I had been away from singing for ten years. I didn’t even sing at home. So, one afternoon I was in line at the grocery store. Tim was a toddler sitting in the cart, and Robert and Sam were arguing. I was about at wit’s end. Then a voice told me to turn around.

Maria: A voice?

Ms. Sandoval: Yes, Just a whisper. I turned around, and there was my ex-husband. He’s pulling groceries out of a cart and putting them on the conveyor belt. He didn’t acknowledge me. What really burned me up is he didn’t even notice the kids were fighting and he spent every other weekend with them. I don’t know why he didn’t say anything he also saw I was clearly in distress, so he just gave me a dirty look. I got scared and wanted to get out of that line so badly. Then the voice whispered to me again. It said, “Sing, Regina, sing.”

Maria: Really?

Ms. Sandoval: It’s true I kept hearing “Sing, Regina, sing.” Before I had time to think about it, I twirled around and burst out with “Memories” from Cats.

Maria laughs

 It’s true I did. I sang like I used to sing. The look on that man’s face. He’s all dressed up in a business suit. Face turned as red as his tie.

Maria: What happened next?

Ms.Sandoval: I sang it all the way through. When I finished, there was a few seconds of silence, and then everyone applauded. All except my ex-husband. He was looking down at his shoes, embarrassed. I curtsied to the crowd, and then finished buying my groceries. He never said a word to me.

After that, I felt free to sing again. I went back to church. I think it was God who talked to me. I haven’t heard his voice since that day. But I can feel him, you know. His presence is within me. Listen to me, boring you with ancient stupid stories.

Maria: They’re not stupid. She hesitates. I hear him too.

Ms. Sandoval: Hear Who?

Maria: God. I know it sounds crazy but every night I hear him. I speak with him. He repeats the same thing over and over: Sing, Maria sing, but I can’t sing, and I have failed him.

Ms. Sandoval: Do you really love music, Maria? Truly in your heart?

Maria: Well, not really, no.

Ms. Sandoval: Then why?

Maria: I thought you had to do what God says.

Ms. Sandoval: Oh, my girl, that’s not what it’s about.

Maria: I’m confused.

Ms. Sandoval: Far be it from me to say what God wants. But he may not want you to sing.

Maria: He doesn’t?

Ms. Sandoval: Not if you don’t care about singing. That would be wrong, maybe even sinful.

Maria: God can be wrong?

Ms. Sandoval: No, well, listen. I think of it this way. This voice is telling you to sing with your life, to make your life a song. You can do that in so many ways. What fills your heart, what make you happy?

Maria: Well I love science, my whole family are scientists, engineers, and mathematicians and doing that stuff always seems to make me happy, I always feel closer to my family. When I am figuring out equations and talking about scientific theories it warms my heart. I love Biology and studying DNA and doing cell research. I am so excited every year to do the science fair it is always so much fun, and I get to see all my friends. My dad is always so proud of my projects and I enjoy them very much.

Ms. Sandoval: there you go! I can tell just by your face lighting up that science is something you’re passionate about. Science and Family. God would never want you to do something you don’t like doing. As I said, God works in mysterious ways. When he whispered sing to me, I sang because I love singing and it was time for me to heal the experience of living with my unsupportive husband. When he tells you to sing, he’s being a bit mysterious, like a complicated science problem. He may have wanted to direct you to your passion but wanted you to figure it out yourself because he knows how smart you are.

Maria: What did he mean when he talked about faith?

Ms. Sandoval: You must have faith, Maria, faith in yourself.

Maria: And that means focusing on the science fair and not and not singing in front of the cruel, stupid girls at my school?

Ms. Sandoval laughs

Ms. Sandoval: It could be, you have to find out for yourself and remember God has a path for you and he will reveal it to you in mysterious ways.

Maria: There must be a more logical way.

Ms. Sandoval: If God was straight forward, I never would have learned my lesson and left my husband. I would have never sung again. He let me sing when the time was right.

Ms. Sandoval: Do you want to keep with the lesson today, Maria?

Maria: I think I’ve had enough of singing – real singing. Is my brother still out in the garage?

Ms. Sandoval: Yes dear.

Maria: Thank you so much for everything.

Ms. Sandoval: Remember to sing, my love.

Maria exits stage. 

ACT FOUR: FINISHING SCENE

God: Sing, Maria, sing.

Maria: I understand now God, and I believe in you I know who you are.

God: Faith, Maria, faith.

Maria: Ms. Sandoval helped me understand your riddles.

God: Tell me.

Maria: You want me to sing my life. To have faith in my path.

God: Sing, Maria, sing.

Maria: I will, God, I will.

Maria Looks Content.

            Maria crawls into bed and has a good night’s sleep.

END OF SCRIPT

True Troupe Wyoming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s

Never give up, never surrender!