Skip to main content

Never give up, never surrender!

 

   

 


When I was 13 years old, I was committed to being published. I wanted to get into Tween Magazine's "Embarrassing Stories" segment. I sent letter after letter of embarrassing stories (I had plenty) Some of them were true, but some were not. One day I was so excited because I finally got a story in! I found the story some years ago in a diary but in the process of cleaning out my house unfortunately I have thrown it away or lost it. 

    I was so excited that my story was published right on the small paragraph was a picture of me with green teeth and the story read, "I was at the local roller rink with my friends, and we were dancing. I took a break because a song I didn't care for was playing and I went to get some Fun Dip. I ate the whole thing and was so happy until I heard a voice. "Hello Annie" it said I turned around to find my crush. I smiled at him with big green teeth from the fun dip and he looked at me weird and walked away." The story was called "Fun Dip Catastrophe." This story happened to be one of the true stories I had sent in about my encounter with my crush at the roller rink. 

    The story is a cute 13-year-old perspective on what is embarrassing but the point is that I sent in hundreds of submissions. I sent 5 stories at a time. I always wonder where is that girl who never gave up? I am the type of person who will never give up until I get my way. I call myself the 'screeching wheel' because I do not stop until I get my voice heard.

     I want to have that same persistence. I am submitting some of my work into Literary Magazines around Wyoming and the west. This time I'm not sending in embarrassing stories but my art and writing. This is where I start, I want my voice to be heard and I want my words to be read no matter what it takes. Like my mom (who is a total Galaxy quest geek) says "Never give up, never surrender!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Got Here-Graduating from College Class of 2022.

    How I Got Here A Journey to the Grad Stage Degree from LCCC earned: Communications and Creative Arts. Focus: Music and Art I remember 10 years ago. I had just started community college in Cheyenne with a partial music scholarship that I had auditioned for and received. I was so excited; it was my first time in college and I’m doing the thing I loved. I had just gotten my GED and I was looking forward to being an official college student. I imagined sitting around drinking coffee and talking about our favorite music, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was shy, and it was hard to make friends. I started in the spring and didn’t really know anyone. Because of my abandonment issues and fear of rejection I took the silence as a hatred for me and cried pretty frequently alone in the bathroom begging my parents to take me home. I believe they came almost every day to bring me lunch and reassure me that I was okay.    Then Fall came and I got to know people a little better but with more peop

College Incarcerated: How college in Prison helps prevent recidivism.

I recently watched: “College Behind Bars”. A show on Netflix created by Ken Burns. The show is about a select group of people in prison getting their associate's degree and bachelor’s degree while still incarcerated and carrying out their sentence. These individuals are accepted into New York State’s Bard liberal arts college. The program is called B.P.I. or Bard Prison Initiative. In this program prisoners can graduate with an associate's degree and then choose if they would continue to receive a bachelors while in prison. Although most education programs were disbanded in 1994 due to the passing of the Clinton Crime Bill. colleges now can privately fund education in prison which is what colleges such as Adams State University are currently doing. In the show College behind bars, the college providing private funds is Bard college located in   Annandale-on-Hudson,  New York .  I have watched the show and can see the change in the inmates who are receiving education. In our s